yep, so you take the dataRegion rectangle, find the middle of it, and hey presto, all sorted - something like this:

        override protected function updateDisplayList(unscaledWidth:Number, unscaledHeight:Number):void{
            super.updateDisplayList(unscaledWidth,unscaledHeight);
            var rect:Rectangle = dataRegion;
            myImage.x = rect.left + (rect.width-myImage.width)/2
            myImage.y = rect.top+ (rect.height-myImage.height)/2
        }

showing / hiding you can do when the data changes...