True. But what would you do in case you need to have public property that should be "redirected" to Text instance child. Imagine, you have component based on VBox and myText Text instance inside it. Also you have text public property that returns myText.text and sets myText.text when you assign value to it. In case you create child myText Text instance in createChildren() setter will fail while initializing component inline via MXML. The only workaround is to cache value in local property and set it upon child creation. Are there any other suggestions?