Doug, please don't think you need anyone's permission
to pipe up!  That's the point of the list, to
e-list-it conversation.  The more opinions the better!

I agree with what you said about establishing best
practices, but I'm not sure I agree that any
application with complicated initialization needs to
be redesigned.  Those functions, constructObject2,
createChildren, etc., are there precisely to
accomodate complicated behavior in custom components.
The trick is to know how to use them well.  (which I
don't)

Greg

--- Doug Lowder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> > understanding of the order of initialization in
> > Flex--the interactions between constructObject2,
> init,
> > createChildren, and how those interact with
> bindings.
> >

> > Greg
> >

> > --- Doug Lowder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry for butting into this thread, and no
> offense
> > > intended, but
> > > personally I would describe this as programmer
> error
> > > and not a
> > > compiler bug.  You are building into
> MyFirstObject a
> > > dependancy on
> > > another object without taking into account the
> > > initialized state of
> > > the dependant object.  I see two ways to correct
> > > this:
> > >
> > > 1. Check the state of the property of the
> dependant
> > > object when you
> > > access it.  You can do this just by seeing if
> the
> > > property you are
> > > accessing has been defined, and taking
> appropriate
> > > action if not.
> > >
> > > <MyFirstObject initialize="handleInit()" >
> > > <mx:Script>
> > >  public var innerWidth: Number;
> > >  public function handleInit() {
> > >      if (myOtherObject.outerWidth != undefined)
> {
> > >          innerWidth=myOtherObject.otherWidth;
> > >      }
> > >      else {
> > >          doLater(this, "handleInit");
> > >      }
> > >  }
> > > </mx:Script>
> > >
> > > 2. The second, and in my opinion better, way is
> > > create components
> > > and utilize binding from the parent rather than
> the
> > > component.
> > >
> > > // component MyFirstObject
> > > <MyFirstObject ... >
> > > <mx:Script>
> > >  public var innerWidth: Number;
> > > </mx:Script>
> > > <mx:Image width="{innerWidth}" />
> > > </MyFirstObject>
> > >
> > > // component MyOtherObject
> > > <MyOtherObject initialize="handleInit()" >
> > > <mx:Script>
> > >  public var otherWidth: Number;
> > >  public function handleInit() {
> > >      otherWidth=55;
> > >  }
> > > </mx:Script>
> > > </MyOtherObject>
> > >
> > > // application that uses the components
> > > <mx:HBox>
> > >   <MyFirstObject id="myFirstObject"
> > >     innerWidth="{myOtherObject.otherWidth}" />
> > >   <MyOtherObject id="myOtherObject" />
> > > </mx:HBox>
> > >
> > > Either approach should take care of the
> > > initialization issues you are
> > > seeing.  If you want to provide specific sample
> code
> > > showing the
> > > problem, I can try to give more details.

C:\JRun4\servers\starExhibits\cfusion-ear\cfusion-war\WEB-INF\flex\generated