one more idea. if nothing is working you can always place the
datagrid outside of the panel. as your outer container is a canvas.
it will always put all its children on top of one another, unless
you position them
eg
<mx:Canvas>
  <mx:Panel/>
  <mx:DataGrid/>
</mx:Canvas>

you'll have to play with the positioning so that the datagrid
appears inside the panel.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Jack W. Caldwell @ Zingit