The short answer is yes you can but there are many variables that
will effect you setup.

I was able to do it no problem using ColdFusion CFCs - worked on my
local laptop and have deployed to several servers.  If Flex app is
delivered from the same host/port name then Flex will have no
problem making the calls.  IF not you will need to set
whitelist/crossdomain policy file ...ect theres lots of doc out on
that.  Hope this helps

Exmple:
http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/flex/1/deployingcheckli
st/deployingchecklist2.html

Its not the best but give you a line of sight...

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "flexnadobe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>