Binding data in one MXML component to a Text component in a different
MXML component - need help please

I seem to be missing what the link is between different MXML
components.  What I want to do is load in external XML, populate a
data Model with the loaded data, and bind that data to a dozen
different MXML components controlled by a ViewStack.  I can do what I
want when I am in one MXML file, but I am having a problem talking
between MXML files.  I need to bind components in one MXML file to a
Model in a different MXML file

In the sample below the obvious problem is that the
PatientSummaryView.mxml component does not have access to the
patientSummaryExternal Model defined in Main.mxml.  I do not know how
to make that connection.  I have tried a half-dozen different options
with name spaces and eventHandlers, but I cannot seem to get it to
work.  I'm sure I am just missing a basic concept, but I cannot find
the answer I need in the help.  If you can give me any tips I would
appreciate it.

<!-- Main.mxml -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; xmlns="*">

            <mx:Model source="assets/data/caseStudy_01.xml"
id="patientSummaryExternal"/>

            <mx:ViewStack id="stateViewStack" left="10" top="30"
bottom="40" right="10" creationPolicy="all">

                                    <PatientSummaryView
id="patientSummaryView" label="Patient Summary"/>

            </mx:ViewStack>

</mx:Application>

<!-- PatientSummaryView.mxml -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:Canvas xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; xmlns="*"
width="300" height="300">

            <mx:Text text="{patientSummaryExternal}" /> <!-- Error
Here! 1120: Access of undefined property patientSummaryExternal.

</mx:Canvas>

Thanks

--jason