We have a pretty unique approach to developing RIAs that we use here
at Cynergy called LookFirst.  We focus on doing the development
process from "front-to-back" whereby we develop the user experience,
using it to gather requirements, establish scope and drive back end
API and data model.

The idea in front-to-back is that we start out with roughly developed
"wireframes" yet these wireframes are developed directly in Flex.
Flex is such a productive canvas why go through the chore of using a
template solution like Visio.  This rough wireframe is then expanded
to inlcude art, validation, flow, etc.  Static data is then bound to
an object model and eventually to controls etc.  The goal is to create
effectively a fully functional application all bound to static data
and objects.  These objects become the API developed using POJOs in
Tomcat exposed as either (or sometimes both) SOAP and XML over HTTP
services.

>From the development standpoint one big thing you will notice is that
this approach forces a very strong seperation of concerns, not just
architecturally but physically as well.  The RIA developers are
requesting the services they require and in the format they require
them in.  This assures that there is no tight coupling between the
tiers and creates an automatic seperation of concerns.  It also allows
the two sides to work quite autonomously.  Although in our offices the
folks might be sitting right side-by-side.

We use subversion for source control and do have a series of ANT
scripts that take the front end RIA and the back-end services, compile
them, create WARS, deploy the WARS etc.  (We also have some internal
tools that do some code generation for us, also hooked into the
automated ANT builds).  IMHO building and deploying full wars
significantly reduces the broken cycles caused by bad or partial
deploys.  Every developer in this way can update their source tree,
build and deploy both tiers of the application to their local
development Tomcat servers without any dependancy on a shared server
model.

We have well over half a dozen Flex projects under development in
parallel here at any given point.  For the most part they are all laid
out the same way, using the same builds scripts and same developer
model.  I'm presenting our approach at the Flex Seminar up in NYC next
week and will be showing off three or four of these projects.  Swing
on up and take a peek.

http://www.flexseminar.com

--
Dave Wolf