Ok i have a listener that does a few things when a tabbar is clicked.
I can have the menu item "coMenu" show when called in another
function and every other function that's called in showMe works when
the tab is selected, why will the menu not show? I know, I know why
not just use menu bar... The client loves the whole tab thing.

public function showMe(event:ItemClickEvent):void {
                var targetComp:TabBar = TabBar(event.currentTarget);

                if (event.index == 3){
                        Alert.show("fourth item clicked");
                }
                if (event.index == 4){
                        // Calculate position of Menu in Application's
coordinates.
                        point1.x=targetComp.x;
                        point1.y=targetComp.y;
                        point1=targetComp.localToGlobal(point1);
                        //Debug.show(coMenu);
                        coMenu.show(point1.x + 25, point1.y + 15);