Frank,

I did a bit more research into this.  I don't need nearly a second
for the WebService to be ready after the load event.  I just put the
whole process in a loop to see what kind of delay I need to make it
work on my box (with the service running on my box).  Unfortunately,
the delay is probably machine and network dependent and, therefore,
would have to be different on other machines.

My results were:

res[delay in ms] = # successes (out of 100)
res[1] = 0
res[2] = 5 ...
res[10] = 13 ...
res[15] = 42 ...
res[20] = 53 ...
res[30] = 77 ...
res[38] = 100
(and the rest were 100 also)

Somebody else had what may have been a similar problem and he just
re-fired the request
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flexcoders/message/46401).  That's
certainly not an elegant solution....

So, I still don't have a solution, just a work-around.  Does anybody
else have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

--Kaleb

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Franck de Bruijn"