How would a child call a function in the parent though? Events don't
seem (semantically) like the right thing because I basically just want
to use a utility function defined in the parent. Like I have a
function that I am using to format the dataTips of my charts in the
child components, but dispatching an event every time I roll over a
chart item seems a bit tedious and extreme.

Is there a better way or do I just need to get used to using events? I
come from a Flash background and have not used events very much.

Thanks,
Ben

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Sergey Kovalyov"