Hi Robert,

Unfortunately we haven’t been able to recreate your experiences ourselves.  The HTML that ships with Flex is meant to work with all browsers.  It works in IE including dealing with the Eolas issue and it works in Firefox.  We’ve scanned everything we can think of to see if Firefox ships with _javascript_ disabled and can’t see anything to indicate that it does.  It would be surprising to us for Firefox to disable _javascript_ on install considering that it is the Firefox folks who own the _javascript_ spec and are planning on major updates in Firefox 2.  So far you’ve been the only person to report this to us.  As mentioned on adobe.com we use SWFObject to manage detection on the web site.  Flex ships with the HTML wrappers that deal with the new active content restrictions and works in all browsers as far as we know.

If you can point us towards more info we can look into it.

Matt

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Robert Thompson
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:06 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Aaron Niederhelman; Terry Blowers
Subject: [flexcoders] Adobe - Please answer / Best method for Flash install for everyday users

Dear Adobe,

Internet Explorer requires SWFObject (and it works).

Firefox now disables _javascript_ and some of my potetial visitors say they can't enter the site.

I've noticed Adobe appears to:

1. Run/Install Flash for IE.

2. Display JPEG or GIF for Flash Movies and place a notice that "This site may not have all it's features enabled"  But for any interactive content it appears to use DHTML menus.

Is the recommended method.

It seems with so many browser changes (ie MS Eolas loss, Firefox disabling _javascript_ from the get-go o installation) that it would be more important than ever to get one tried and true method that works and deals with all contigencies of all major browsers.

-r

Do you Yahoo!?