Odds are good that there's a Flash 8 SWF tag in the file that we don't support in Flex 2.  You're only looking at the error messages, I think uncaught compiler exceptions are logged in "About Flex Builder 2 > Configuration Details > Error Log".  (Or run mxmlc at the command line.)

We have a known issue with morph shapes.  Do you have any of those in your SWF?

(Actually... you're not pulling a symbol out of the SWF, but are embedding the whole thing?  Hmm.  You're embedding on a var, right?  Flex doesn't actually look inside that file.  Do you have flex.swc in your library-path?)

-rg

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of dadrobson
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 11:39 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] exception during transcoding:

I keep getting the following compiler message:

exception during transcoding:

That is the entire message. It's interesting that there is no
explanation as to what caused the exception; the colon at the end
makes me think that something should follow, but nothing does. I'm
left without a clue as to what is throwing the exception.

Here is the line of code that it's complaining about:

[Embed(source="assets/map.swf", mimeType="application/x-shockwave-flash")]

A couple of notes:
1. assets/map.swf is really there. If it weren't, the compiler would
say so; e.g., "unable to resolve 'map.swf' for transcoding"
2. map.swf is a functioning flash file. I can open it in the Flash
Player or load it into a file created using Flash 8 IDE.

Any ideas?