For info, this is how I fixed this issue:

It turns out that MSIE has a TCP receive timeout set in the registry:

This ReceiveTimeout can be found at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/INTERNET
SETTINGS

If it is set to 6000 the the client (browser) will timeout waiting
for the reply from the AMF Gateway.

This stumbled me as I was using a built in browser to eclipse
through the myEclipse plugin, however I have since found out that
this is actually just an embedded IE browser.

I only found the resolution to the issue after testing with firefox
and the problem disapeared.

Weird but true, I'll just have to write off those four days pulling
my hair out then!

Cheers All.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Mika Kiljunen"