OK, its definitely a timing issue. Rather than dispatching the next
CairngormEvent (that triggers the new call) right in my result
handler, I moved the event dispatch to another function, and am
calling that with a Timer set to a 1 millisecond delay. Works perfectly.

So I am not sure what exactly the issue is, but its definitely related
to timing. Very odd because my arguments object was always correctly
populated (so its not a matter of vars not being ready), but the XML
request that Flex generates was all fubar.

Thanks,
Ben