Have you inlcuded the front controller tag in your login.mxml?  You should
have a line in login.mxml that looks something like...

   <control:ApplicationFrontController id="applicationFrontController" />

Without this line your program would still compile, but there wouldn't be a
front controller to "hear" the cairngorm events.  Other than that your code
looks fine.

Darren