While I am sure there are others, the first thing that comes to mind
concerning your first question is something I did just the other day.
Say you've got a command that you want to execute when you receive
data back from a remote call. For debugging or other purposes, you now
want to be able to execute that command manually, by clicking a
button. Using FrontController and the traditional Cairngorm approach,
all you have to do is dispatch the event in the click handler. Without
FrontController you have to import, instantiate and call execute() on
your Command class. Not to mention you now have instances of your
Command class scattered about.

Or what if you decide that a Command that is called in various places
should be named differently or changed in some other way? Using
FrontController you greatly minimize the places in which you need to
edit your code. I suppose if you never need to execute the same
Command in response to more than one type of event (generally
speaking, not Event), then your approach would be fine.

As I understand it, Cairngorm generally advocates making remote calls
from your delegate classes, not commands. Again, the main advantage I
see here is code centralization. You might have five different
commands that all need to call the same remote method. If something
changes and you need to call that method with different arguments or
need to call a different method altogether, using a delegate means you
change your code once instead of five times.

I am still a relative newcomer to Flex and Cairngorm but the main
advantages I've seen and loved so far are the things I've mentioned
here; code centralization, defined responsibilities and clear
separation of duties for the pieces of your app. Most of the time when
I do question a methodology put forth by Cairngorm I simply fall back
on the thought that its developers are way smarter and more
experienced than myself so they probably have a good reason for
whatever they did :)

Sorry to ramble, HTH.
Ben