OK, I found a solution. The documentation reads:

"Projects within a workspace can refer to other Projects. [...] When you refer
to other projects, dependencies are created that affect how your application is
compiled. The Flex Builder compiler manages these dependencies for you and
compiles each project in the proper order so that your application is compiled
successfully."

I may be misreading this, but I took that to mean that once you add the
reference, all the behind-the-scenes compilation settings are set. This is not
exactly right. By adding the other project's root directory to the referencing
projects "Flex Build Path" I was able to get what I thought should be the
behavior (e.g. correct code suggestions and, well, compilation).

What, then, does adding another project as a reference do, and how does this
differ from adding the source path.

Thanks,
-DT