Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:08 AM
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Architecture question

Thanks for the input Paul.

The desktop application is a tool to build dynamic models of systems and author an interface for others to interact with the model.  The interface consist of input objects, (sliders, knobs, input fields, etc), and outputs like graphs and table.  A dashboard or sorts to run the simulation.  If an author of such models wishes to share the model with others, currently they need to direct the user to download a "player" version of the software to interact with the model.

The application we want to build will allow the author to upload their work to a website where they can share the interface of their model with others.  An online "player", if you will, that will only require the end-user to have a web browser with the Flash Player installed.

That said, it's not unreasonable to have the author do the conversion from the desktop file format into a SWF in a conversion application.  I'm leaning toward this approach, because the final SWF would only need to interact with the web service to actually run the model, and record the end-users input decisions.

I hope this clarifies things.  I welcome others feedback on the pro/cons of this approach vs a dynamically created interface.

Thanks,
Jeremy