I spoke too fast...I now recall why I stopped using "filterData" in the
component.  If "filterData" is set to false, and the dataset has no
points to chart, the chart component crashes with the following error
(if filterData is set to true, the crash doesn't occur, and the chart
updates "empty" as expected):

TypeError: Error #1010: A term is undefined and has no properties.
        at mx.charts.chartClasses::GraphicsUtilities$/drawPolyLine()
        at
mx.charts.renderers::LineRenderer/mx.charts.renderers:LineRenderer::upda
teDisplayList()
        at mx.skins::ProgrammaticSkin/validateDisplayList()
        at mx.managers::LayoutManager/::validateDisplayList()
        at mx.managers::LayoutManager/::doPhasedInstantiation()
        at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
        at mx.core::UIComponent/::callLaterDispatcher2()
        at mx.core::UIComponent/::callLaterDispatcher()