I just ran into this problem too.  And unfortunately this post was quite
a while ago and I can't seem to find an answer...  But I did find a
workaround.  It's not pretty and it seems there should be a better way.
 But until the better way is found, try something like this:

    <mx:DataGridColumn dataField="age">
      <mx:itemRenderer>
       <mx:Component>
         <mx:Label text="{(data as XML).samples::age}">
           <mx:Script>
             <![CDATA[
               private namespace samples = "http://census.samples";;
               use namespace samples;