Too lazy to figure out how to find link to groups message in Gmail, so here's the message you're referring to...

Hi Ben.  When a set of column series is clustered, the chart (or columnSet) is setting the columnWidthRatio and offset properties to do it. So if you wanted to cluster differently, you could put the columnSeries inside a CartesianChart and set those properties yourself.

To figure out how wide each column should be, you first need to decide how wide you want the total cluster to be, and how much each column should overlap. Then your formula would be:

columnWidth = clusterWidth / (overlap + (series count)*(1-overlap));

the offset is the offset of the middle of the column from the middle of the category. given the clusterWidth and columnWidthRatio, the offset for each series is:

seriesOffset(N) = -clusterWidth/2 + (1-overlap)*columnWidthRatio*(N) + columnWidthRatio/2;

So if you have three series, and your total width is 75%, and the overlap should be 50%, then

columnWdithRatio = .75 / (.5 + 3*(1-.5))
columnWdithRatio = .75 / 2;
columnWdithRatio = .375

given that,

seriesOffset(0) = -.75/2 + (.5)*.375*0 + .375/2;
seriesOffset(0) = -.1875;

seriesOffset(1) = -.75/2 + (.5)*.375*1 + .375/2;
seriesOffset(1) = 0;

seriesOffset(2) = -.75/2 + (.5)*.375*2 + .375/2;
seriesOffset(2) = -.75/2 + .375 + .375/2;;
seriesOffset(2) = .1875;

Putting that into practice, the markup would be
<CartesianChart>
  <series>
     <ColumnSeries columnWidthRatio=".375" offset="-.1875" />
     <ColumnSeries columnWidthRatio=".375" offset="0" />
     <ColumnSeries columnWidthRatio=".375" offset=".1875" />
</CartesianChart>

(You may need to reverse the order of those, I don't remember)

Ely.