My problem isn't solved by your suggestion unfortunately.  My tree
shows the correct data but still doesn't update the scrollbar
appropriately.  And at times children nodes will overlap parent nodes
further down the list.

I've been calling validateDisplayList on the tree, but should I call
it on something else?

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Fahle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Hey Guys,
>
> my problem was, that the tree was reacting weird when scrolling
> around after adding data to its dataprovider (XMLListCollection)
> using setChildren. (When the user clicks a branch node, it's childnodes
> should be loaded from my streamingserver (=returns XML))
>
> I found out, that the problem was, that the tree wasn't "prepared"
> for the "arrival" of new childnodes..
> The nodes (branchNodes) where I wanted to add children later gave
> me the return valueof false on asking hasChildren()
> And there lies the problem: The tree doesn't expect new children
> and reacts a little bit weird (which maybe belongs to the uncorrect use
> of measure, as you said, Mike).
>
> Anyway, I solved my problem like this:
> When first generating my DataProvider I added on each empty branch
> node a single node with just the label "loading...", what makes the
> datadescriptor return true on hasChildren.
> When the subenodes are loaded, I just delete the "loading..." node,
> as you can see on these screenshots:
>
> http://marcelfahle.com/labs/flex2/screens/cptreeproblem1.jpg
> http://marcelfahle.com/labs/flex2/screens/cptreeproblem2.jpg
> http://marcelfahle.com/labs/flex2/screens/cptreeproblem3.jpg
>
> Using this "hack" everything works good for me..
> If anybody wants to see it in action, just drop me a line off-list..
>

> Michael Schmalle wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > There is some issues with the Tree and XML dtat provider collections.
> >
> > One thing I can suggest is;
> >
> > Add an event listener to the divider bar release, I can't remeber
what
> > it is, in that handler call
> >
> > myTree.invalidateList();
> >
> > Give it a try and let me know.
> >
> > I have the same issues with using itemRenderers and changing some
> > internal data specific things. After I am done with my process, I
> > called invalidateList() and it did a nice redraw quickly.
> >
> > There probably is just an update isse and measure() is not being
> > called correctly.
> >
> > Peace, Mike
> >
> > On 8/23/06, *e baggg* < [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     I too have had problems with XML nodes in tree. One thing that
> >     eliminated a lot of the issues was reassigning the dataProvider of
> >     the tree explictly (right after you update the node.
> >
> >     so...
> >     [Bindable]
> >     private var xmlN : XML ....
> >     private function updateTreeDataProvider : void {
> >      //code that updates xmlN
> >        treeNav.dataProvider= xmlN;
> >     }
> >
> >     <mx:Tree id="treeNav"

> [...]