I'm setting the dataProvider of a DataGrid to an ArrayCollection (of
Objects).

If the value of a given field of a given row is a particular value, I
want to change the row of the DataGrid to red, say.

I already have a labelFunction on the DataGridColumn for something else.

And Brandon Purcell tells me that setting the background color of a
row is fairly easy:

   dg.setPropertiesAt(rowNum, {backgroundColor:0xFF0000});

Is it possible to determine the row number of the row that a
labelFunction is currently affecting, so that I could also do a
setPropertiesAt() and pass it said row number?

In other words... I have

  <mx:DataGrid name="dg" id="dg" width="100%" height="100%">
      <mx:columns>
          <mx:DataGridColumn dataField="date" labelFunction="formatDate"
headerText="Date" />
      </mx:columns>
  </mx:DataGrid>

and my formatDate function wants to look like:

  public function
formatDate(columnData:Object,columnDef:DataGridColumn):String
      {
         dg.setPropertiesAt(whateverRowThisIs, {backgroundColor:0xFF0000});
         DateDisplay.format(columnData.date);
      }

Anyone know how to determine "whateverRowThisIs"?

Or do I really need to use a itemRenderer? That seems like overkill to
just change the background color.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Carl