boy_trike wrote:
> I am considering re-writing a traditional client-server application in Flex.
> This will be an
> INTRANET application and all of the clients have a registered OCX that my app
> has to
> communicate with (Interfaces with a phone dialer).

If all of your audience must use an OCX phone-dialer, then it sounds
like they're all using the Microsoft browser for Windows. (This is the
only browser family which uses ActiveX as an extension mechanism.)

Flex lives in your development flow and on your server, and it's a SWF
which is delivered to their browsers to render. SWFs in IE can
communicate with other ActiveX Controls, with the best communication
being with those ActiveX Controls which expose a VBScript/JScript
interface (Microsoft's "JavaScript" analogues).

Two steps here:
--  First confirm that the OCX dialer supports a suitable JavaScript
API; then
--  Do a Google search on "externalinterface flex" to find the range of
resources on implementing it.

Such work is usually a little trickier than standalone work, because
you're asking the plugin, the browser, and the third-party control to
all behave as you expect, but it's definitely an achievable goal.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: