Hey Tom,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I need more back than a status
code (I was just using those messages and an example). What we are
actually doing is allowing the user to upload an Excel file and
sending back the parsed data. Here is the approach we are taking now,
knowing the limitations of FileReference.

1. WS call to request an uploadID - the server side code inserts a row
into an uploadedFiles table and returns the auto id of the new row

2. Upload the file and pass that uploadID along as a url variable -
the server code then saves the file to the system, storing the path in
the row corresponding to the passed uploadID

3. Upon upload completion we'll make another WS call, passing the
uploadID, and the server code will parse the corresponding file and
send the data back as a SOAP response

Setting up the test files now... :)

Ben

http://www.mehtanirav.com/2006/04/29/filereference-on-mac-type-is-not-available/
> > seems to confirm what I feared about FileReference.
> >
> > Can someone please explain to me how/when its useful to upload a file
> > and get nothing back besides a confirmation? How would you communicate
> > that there is already a file uploaded with that name? How would you
> > communicate that the file's data is not correctly formatted?
> >
> > I cannot believe there is no way to get any returned data from the url
> > that you upload your file to. Seriously- what is the point of using
> > FileReference with such an immense limitation?
> >
> > Disappointed,
> > Ben
> >
> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tom
> > Ortega" <tom.ortega@> wrote:
> > >
> > > We ended up having to use a servlet in which we upload the file too
> > and pass
> > > any non-file data as url vars.
> > >
> > > Are you changing the file within the same call?
> > >
> > > -Tom2

<flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com><flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>, "

> > attachments in

SOAPAction)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional