Sorry for the late reply.

Ben you and Paul are correct your fixes work fine for me thanks.

I also checked out that login example, but my problem with the login
example, is that instead of passing data into the backend service,
which is what my java beans are set to accept, they want to pass a
fully constructed AS object.

Now I understand both could work, but I wanted to know specifically
how to do it passing data. The reason is, that in the instance I am
consulted to rewrite an existing java app, I want to be able to pass
exaclty what is there already so as little backend pieces need to be
re-written as possible.

Thanks all for your help.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "ben.clinkinbeard"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I didn't read every line of your code but I think this is your
> problem: You are creating and passing your custom AuthenticateEvent
> object, which has the loginName and password properties, but then you
> are trying to access data.loginName and data.password in your command.
>
> Try this:
>
> var ae:AuthenticateEvent = event as AuthenticateEvent;
> delegate.doLogin(ae.loginName, ae.password);
>
> HTH,
> Ben
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "laidezmon" <laidezmon@> wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to implement a simple login application in cairngorm. I am
> > having all kinds of problems.
> >
> > Heres the deal.
> >
> > Basically I have a button which calls a doLogin() function.
> >
> > private function doLogin():void
> > {
> >     var event : AuthenticateEvent = new
> > AuthenticateEvent(AuthenticateEvent.EVENT_LOGIN);
> >     event.loginName = loginName.text;
> >     event.password = password.text;
> >     CairngormEventDispatcher.getInstance().dispatchEvent( event );
> > }
> >
> > this is called from my mxml display page. loginName and password are
> > text fields on my screen.
> >
> > The controller is loaded from the main.mxml file, and is already
> > instantiated, but here is the add command reference for this login
> > function.
> >
> >  public function initialiseCommands() : void
> >        {
> >           addCommand( AuthenticateEvent.EVENT_LOGIN, LoginCommand );
> >        }
> >
> > From there the loginCommand.as is called and runs its execute method:
> >
> > public function execute (event : CairngormEvent):void
> > {
> >     if( !CruiseModelLocator.getInstance().authenticated  )
> >     {
> >     var delegate : LoginDelegate = new LoginDelegate( this );
> >     delegate.doLogin(event.data.loginName, event.data.password);
> >     }
> >     else
> >     {
> >     Alert.show( "Logged In already!" );
> >     return;
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > The delegate is below:
> >
> > public function LoginDelegate( responder : Responder )
> > {
> > this.service = ServiceLocator.getInstance().getService(
"UserManager" );
> > this.responder = responder;
> > }
> >
> > public function doLogin(loginName:String, password:String) : void
> > {
> > var call : Object = service.login(loginName,password);
> > call.resultHandler = responder.onResult;
> > call.faultHandler = responder.onFault;
> > }
> >
> > I must be doing something wrong here. But basically I am getting lost
> > trying to pass the values of those two text boxes, and getting them
> > all the way through this methodology to the remote object service i am
> > going to call. It looks for two parameters, loginName and password,
> > and in this test case loginName actually equals the string loginName
> > thats the value.
> >
> > I have traced the debugger and even gone through the cairngorm ASDoc
> > stuff, and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. It mentions the
> > data attribute, and when I pass into the execute function on the
> > command, event.data or event.data.loginName I dont get a compile time
> > error. However nothing is being passed to the service.
> >
> > When I look at the debugger trace I see that event does have a
> > event.data attribute, but its undefined, and also that event has a
> > event.loginName, and a event.password. Note this is correct, its not
> > event.data.loginName, but rather event.loginName, and the value is
> > there from those text boxes.
> >
> > So it is there, but it dont work. If I pass into the command,
> > event.loginName I get a compile time error. However it shows in the
> > debugger as being there. I dont get it.
> >
> > I am a newbie to OOP and flex and java, so this could be a really
> > stupid question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: