Clint Modien wrote:
> I'm totally confused now.  Isn't the only thing requiring a player upgrade
> to 9.0 flex 2?  Without auto-update turned on what is causing such a
> blazing fast adoption rate?

I think it's the content. While YouTube requires Adobe Flash Player 8 or
better, anyone still upgrading from v7 or previous will now get the
current version, Flash Player 9.

Rephrased, a site doesn't *have* to specify FP9... anytime that they
specify a minimum version greater than what someone has installed, then
(as of the end of June) they'll be getting FP9.

MySpace going to SWF9 did increase adoption rates, but even if they have
90 million regular visitors, that's still only about three weeks' worth
of normal Flash Player distribution... from what I'm told, we've been
seeing five to six million successful installations per day anyway.
MySpace *did* have an effect in bunching upgrade requests together, but
the total Flash Player 9 audience is already far larger than the MySpace
audience.

There's a virtuous circle going on with Flash work now... the
application developers benefit from the video sites, from the
advertisers, from the newspaper infographics, from the personality sites.

More on the different sociology of Adobe Flash Player 9 here:
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd/archives/2006/08/linux_observati.cfm

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: