Well Thanks, of course, it works FINE now, with your suggestion.

Now here is the important question......

I feel like I know flex pretty well (not too difficult to figure out how all of
the components
work...maybe a 9 on a 0 - 10 scale).

However, my actionscript knowledge seems to be a 1 MINUS!.  I would have had NO
idea to
look for the createChildren function.  where the heck do I learn that info?
would going to
MAXX help ??  any books you want to recomend?  (wanna consult for $$$  ??? )

Bruce

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schmalle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since you are instantiating the component in an Application, the scope is
> off,
>
> <comp:TimeText id="tt" change="processTime (event)" />
>
> needs to be
>
> <comp:TimeText id="tt" change="tt.processTime (event)" />
>
> I know that isnt what you wanted to here but the scope always refers to the
> application everywhere except a component tag.
>
> Why don't you add a listener in you custom component say in createChilren()
>
> IE
>
> override proected function createChildren():void
> {
>    super.createChildren();
>    addEventListener(Event.CHANGE, processTime, false, 0, true);
> }
>

> Peace, Mike
>
> On 10/3/06, boy_trike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   in my application, i am asking for time input in many places. right now
> > I have a
> > change="processTime( event)" in the text input of each time variable. (my
> > process time
> > parses the input". Of course, this requires that I import the ProcessTime
> > function into each
> > component that uses it. I created a new component called TimeInput based
> > on textInput and
> > added a public function processTime.
> >
> > When I try to use this component i.e.
> > <comp:TimeText id="tt" change="processTime (event)" />
> >
> > I get the error "call to possibly undefined method"
> >
> > Help
> >
> > Thanks
> > Bruce
> >

> --