With the ByteArray capability of Flash Player 9, "anything" is possible.  Jim Cheng has an .xls parser that loads an .xls file, scans it, and then displays the results in a data grid.  See here:  http://www.psalterego.com/2006/05/17/parsing-excel-files-with-actionscript-30/

If you can find the documentation for the .tiff format, you can do the same to convert it into bitmap data all in the Player.  Likewise, you can read the bytes of a loaded .doc file and pull out the information you want to display the contents in, say, a text area.

The solution really depends on your use case.  It might be smarter to convert .tiff to .jpg on the server and pull that in directly instead of trying to write a .tiff decoder.

-d

Peterson, Chris wrote:

I would like to be able to show .tiff images, as well as possibly word
doc's or adobe acrobat files, inside my flex app. Is this possible
without a server-side converter (which I think would be too slow for my
purposes)?

Chris