I see what you're saying Tom.  We just have different points of view
concerning this matter.  The choice is whether you want to scatter
the arguments throughout your code or scatter unnecessary references
to the ModelLocator similarly.  The bottom line: if it works for
you, that's all that really matters.  Thank you for the discourse.

-TH

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Tom Chiverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 20:48, Tim Hoff wrote:
> > WTF, since when do Delagates know about the ModelLocator?  Tom,
I'm
> > sorry to disagree with you here,
>
> Go right ahead and disagree :-)
>
> > a proxy for a service call; a layer of abstraction to help
> > encapsulate the Commands.
>
> Delegates encapsulate commands ? It's the other way around - the
Delegate hide
> all the gubbins of how the command is run at the other end, and
that for me
> means passing an auth. token (username).
>

> > event. But I don't beleive that this is the intended best
practice.
> > I think that events should only carry temporary data and the
> > ModelLocator (VO's) should hold persistant data.
>
> With you so far.
>
> > the searchString is temporary, but is held in the VO because it
> > might be needed for user notification of a failed search attempt.
> > IMHO, Delegates shouldn't know about the ModelLocator at all and
> > Views should only know about the ModelLocator through binding.
The
> > Commands should do all of the work.
>
> But, but, but... either I scatter my requirement for the first
argument to a
> Remoteing call to be a particular string all over my code (in the
VO and the
> Command), or in one place (the Delegate).
> I don't see the harm in binding my Delegate to a specific Model
property as I
> can't see us ever changing the security mechanism.
>
> --
> Tom Chiverton
> Helping to quickly enhance interdependent segments

> This email is sent for and on behalf of Halliwells LLP.
>
> Halliwells LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in
England and Wales under registered number OC307980 whose registered
office address is at St James's Court Brown Street Manchester M2
2JF.  A list of members is available for inspection at the
registered office. Any reference to a partner in relation to
Halliwells LLP means a member of Halliwells LLP. Regulated by the
Law Society.

> CONFIDENTIALITY
>
> This email is intended only for the use of the addressee named
above and may be confidential or legally privileged.  If you are not
the addressee you must not read it and must not use any information
contained in nor copy it nor inform any person other than Halliwells
LLP or the addressee of its existence or contents.  If you have
received this email in error please delete it and notify Halliwells
LLP IT Department on 0870 365 8008.

> For more information about Halliwells LLP visit www.halliwells.com.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional