Thanks a lot, Mike

used "public static function String2Date"
and "CommonFunctions.String2Date(...)"

I'm a search-trialanderror-and-search-again type of programmer. Just
learning as I need something :-)

Any suggestions on good OO-related basic learning sites ?

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Labriola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Frank,
>
> I think you might be approaching this from the wrong perspective. In
> particular, if you don't have object oriented programming experience,
> you may want to take a few minutes and read some of the many tutorials
> available online.
>
> As Flex is a pretty OO heavy environment, without this knowledge, I
> think you are going to get stuck on a lot of issues.
>
> That said, you have two choices in the code you wrote below:
>
> You could make your method static:
>
> public function String2Date becomes->
> public static function String2Date
>
> Then you could access it as:
> dfShipping.selectedDate =
> CommonFunctions.String2Date(x.result[0].shipdatum[0].toString());
>
> Or you need to create an instance of this class first.
>
> var cf:CommonFunctions = new CommonFunctions();
> dfShipping.selectedDate =
> cf.String2Date(x.result[0].shipdatum[0].toString());
>
> I do encourage you to spend a little time reading about Object
> Oriented programming, either from an Adobe resource or just an online
> tutorial. It will help you immensly.
>
> --Mike
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "amigo_fd" <frank@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to make a class with a function I want to reuse in my
> > application. This is new for me, so I need some help ...
> >
> > I've created a file "CommonFunctions.as" in the root of my application
> > with this code:
> >
> > package {
> >     public class CommonFunctions {
> >             public function String2Date(doString:String):Date {
> >                     var doYear:int = Number(doString.substr(0,4));
> >                     var doMonth:int = Number(doString.substr(5,2));
> >                     var doDay:int = Number(doString.substr(8,2));
> >                     var doHour:int = Number(doString.substr(11,2));
> >                     var doMin:int = Number(doString.substr(14,2));
> >                     var doSec:int = Number(doString.substr(17,2));
> >
> >                     var myDate:Date = new Date(doYear, doMonth, doDay,
> > doHour, doMin,
> > doSec);
> >                     // showErrorDialog(doString + "+" + doYear + "+" +
> > doMonth + "+" +
> > doDay + "+" + doHour + "+" + doMin + "+" + doSec);
> >
> >                     return myDate;
> >             }
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > Now, how do I use in it on an other mxml-file in that application ?
> > This does not work:
> >
> > dfShipping.selectedDate =
> > String2Date(x.result[0].shipdatum[0].toString());
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > Frank

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional