Hi Rachel,

If your CFC method's returntype is query and the value returned is a string, it will throw this error when Flex reads the value because it is strictly typed. But a CFDump page wont care.. If you are just trying to catch the server fault, use server_fault (event):
<mx:RemoteObject
id="dataManager"
showBusyCursor="true"
destination="ColdFusion" source="demo.components.Clients">
<mx:method name="getAQuery" result=" getAQuery_result(event)" fault="server_fault(event)" />
</mx:RemoteObject>

hth,
doug