I am not aware of functionality similar to “colspan”.  You can draw use the drawing API to draw thicker lines.  Take a look at the bottom of my blog post here…

http://www.cynergysystems.com/blogs/page/andrewtrice?entry=changing_the_header_separator_on

You can also take a look at the DataGridHeaderSeparator class in the framework SDK source code (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 2\Flex SDK 2\frameworks\source\mx\skins\halo) to see how it is done using the default framework skin.

-Andy

Andrew Trice

Cynergy Systems, Inc.

http://www.cynergysystems.com