I'm getting a little clearer. Thanks Dustin and Stacy!

On a practical level this boils down to a simple practical question: Do
I need to worry about configuring HTTP and AMF ports when I have several
webApps on the same server, like I must with RTMP?

I'm pretty sure that the answer is no, but I'd love an authoritative
answer from Adobe.  :-)

And while we're at it, is there a range of port numbers that I should be
using for the RTMP assignments? The "flex" template app is at 2038. The
"samples" app is at 2037. How high and low can I go? BTW, my TCP/IP
Network Administration book (which I obviously haven't fully absorbed
:-) says that IANA keeps a list of assigned & registered ports. When I
go to the page (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers) these two
ports are associated with other programs. Might it be a good idea for
Adobe to find a short range of numbers that isn't already claimed, and
claim them? Not that I really know anything about this...  :-)

Douglas

Dustin Mercer wrote:

> The server port in this context is actually the HTTP port of your
> server. The Flex Java architecture picks this up from the web server
> and binds it to that uri. The reason there is not a problem with that
> particular port is because it's the standard HTTP port. All web apps
> can share that port and it's not making any time of remembered
> connection with the flash client. Only the RTMP channel does that.
>
> I don't know about this part for sure, but I think the RTMP channel is
> something Adobe built into the Flex framework that is like a mini
> server that enables the "Real Time" portion of the Flex Data Services.
> Someone from Adobe can correct me if I am wrong, that is only my
> assumption. Hope that helps!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: