Sounds like the exact issues I had when I first started using Flex. I
ended up writing a couple of articles on the subject.

http://www.returnundefined.com/2006/07/dealing-with-default-namespaces-in-flex-2as3/
http://www.returnundefined.com/2006/07/datagrid-labelfunction-and-namespaces/

HTH,
Ben

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie O" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, it displays XML and cannot access nodes.
> Here's the heading elements of the returned XML from a trace:
> <PostalCodeLookupResponse
> xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
> xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
> xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
> xmlns="[CorporateNSAddressRemoved]">
> <PostalCodeLookupResult Value="K7M 6B2" ProvinceCode="ON">
> <Municipality Name="KINGSTON">
> </Municipality>
> </PostalCodeLookupResult>
> </PostalCodeLookupResponse>
>
> I have been able to reference via
> postalcodeXML.*::[EMAIL PROTECTED] but when I have to put
> the wildcard and result and such on every node it seems kind of
> laborious. I figured there would be a way to make the default hold up
> which I haven't yet managed.
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "ben.clinkinbeard"
> <ben.clinkinbeard@> wrote:
> >
> > Does the Alert.show(postcodeXML) display the xml and you're just not
> > able to get nodes within it? Does the returned xml contain namespaces?
> > If you can post the resulting xml and the code you're using to try and
> > access individual nodes it will be easier to diagnose your issue.
> >
> > Ben
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie O" <jamie.oastler@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've tried pretty much every sample I can find out there on the
> > > interweb and just can't seem to get things to play nice with my web
> > > service to allow me to get at individual nodes / elements using E4X.
> > > If anyone can suggest something, it would be REALLY appreciated.
> > >
> > > I've got:
> > > -an event broadcasting to the controller (not shown) working fine.
> > > -execute the search command (not shown) working fine.
> > > -executing the webservice request (shown) working fine.
> > > -receiving the webservice response (shown) working fine.
> > > -Accessing specific nodes / attributes in the response not working!
> > > -If I use a HTTPService to a direct XML file, e4x is ok.
> > >
> > > [SERVICE DEFINITION MXML]
> > > <mx:WebService id="addressWSService" wsdl="[RemovedPath]?WSDL"
> > > makeObjectsBindable="false" showBusyCursor="true" useProxy="false">
> > >   <mx:operation name="PostalCodeLookup" resultFormat="e4x">
> > >           <mx:request>
> > >                   <PostalCode>
> > >                           K7M6B2
> > >                   </PostalCode>
> > >           </mx:request>
> > >   </mx:operation>
> > > </mx:WebService>
> > >
> > > [DELEGATE DEFINITION ACTIONSCRIPT]
> > > service =
ServiceLocator.getInstance().getService("addressWSService")
> > > as WebService;
> > >
> > > public function LocateAddress(p_PostalCode:String):void
> > > {
> > > service.addEventListener(ResultEvent.RESULT,
LocateAddress_onResult);
> > > service.addEventListener(FaultEvent.FAULT, LocateAddress_onFault);
> > > var o:AbstractOperation = service.getOperation("PostalCodeLookup");
> > > o.arguments.PostalCode = p_PostalCode;
> > > service.PostalCodeLookup();
> > > }
> > >
> > > protected function LocateAddress_onResult(event:ResultEvent):void
> > > {
> > > trace("AddressWSDelegate::LocateAddress_onResult");
> > > responder.onResult(new ResultEvent(ResultEvent.RESULT, false, true,
> > > event.result));
> > > }
> > >
> > > [SEARCH COMMAND ACTIONSCRIPT]
> > > protected function searchPostalCode(p_postalcode:String):void
> > > {
> > >   getDelegate().LocateAddress(p_postalcode);
> > > }
> > >
> > > protected function getDelegate():AddressWSDelegate
> > > {
> > >   return new AddressWSDelegate(this);
> > > }
> > >
> > > public function onResult(event:*=null):void
> > > {
> > >   trace("SearchCommand::onResult");
> > >   var postcodeXML:XML = new XML(event.result);
> > >   Alert.show(postcodeXML);
> > > }
> > >
> > > Overall the structure of this app is pretty close to Jesse Wardens
> > > Amazon sample but that one goes to an array rather than working with
> > > e4x which I would like to.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: