Yes, dividing the app might me a solution.

Our different applications (based on Cairngorm2) are organized as follow.
We prefer to only use 4 main directories : model, view, controller and
service (structure we share for our ColdFusion server side applications).

/com/company1/commons/lib (commons libraries)
/com/company1/commons/controls (commons controls)

/com/company1/domain1/controller/ : CairngormEvents, shared between
applications
/com/company1/domain1/model/ : ValueObjects (business VO) and business
managers, shared between applications
/com/company1/domain1/service/ : ValueObjects (request/response service VO)
and business delegates, shared between applications
/com/company1/domain1/view/ : View components, shared between applications

/com/company1/domain1/application/app1/controller/ : Controller and
Commands, specific to app1
/com/company1/domain1/application/app1/model/ : ModelLocator, specific to
app1
/com/company1/domain1/application/app1/service/ : ServiceLocator, specific
to app1
/com/company1/domain1/application/app1/view/ : View components, specific to
app1

/com/company1/domain1/application/app2/controller/ : Controller and
Commands, specific to app2
/com/company1/domain1/application/app2/model/ : ModelLocator, specific to
app2
/com/company1/domain1/application/app2/service/ : ServiceLocator, specific
to app2
/com/company1/domain1/application/app2/view/ : View components, specific to
app2

For several domain applications, sharing CairngormEvents, ValueObjects and
Views usually make a lot of sense (for example when building a FrontOffice
app and a BackOffice app).
But there are so many ways to structure, organize and package
applications...

Benoit Hediard
#affinitiz.com