The only time I’ve used states is transitioning from two different contexts …specifically from a login screen to the initial state of the application after login. (I wanted to animate the transition)

As for components, my approach is to “black box” them and leverage the event model for communicating. As soon as one component knows about another, re-use is pretty much compromised. Your app itself can use listeners to catch and respond to these events and orchestrate things between components.

HTH,

Stace

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Igor Costa
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 1:12 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] 2 questions

better uses of viewStack

On 11/2/06, DJ Lift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]net> wrote:

Hi there,

Have some questions about the best practice way of designing apps.

I'm building a simple email server preferences application. And I've created two
components. One for handling the login (which hits amfphp and ldap on the backend) and
one for loading and changing/saving the user prefs (which also hits amfphp and ldap on
the backend).

There are really only two "states", login handilng, and prefs changing.

Question 1: Is it best to use States or ViewStacks to deal with changing "app states"?

on to my second question...

The login component is sorta self sufficient. It can handle good logins and bad ones. and
if it's a good login can switch the current state to the preferences state (as viewstates are
what i'm currently working with.) But when i get to the email preferences state, it wants to
know things from the login component, like email and password.

Question 2: Is it good practice to have components be able to talk and share information
with one another? And if so, how do you keep them around and reference them if you're
using viewstates?

Thanks,
mark