Brian

As in liveDocs says the values ( width, height, x,y ) doesn't support in an external CSS file, but you can also use as Manish J. said
http://mannu.livejournal.com/299285.html

you can override the class and start doing this .

I had a same situation last week when I was trying to get a designer to start doing the CSS code but with the width and height he couldn't do nothing I just searched in the google and found that link above too and did the same, worked but also isn't enough.

I belive the in 2.1 version of Flex this will be fixed ( I guess).

Regards.