Try that.

The problem it's because the buttonBar doesn't have the getChildAt properties it's only reserved to Containers. If you want to use that you have to create new a new override the mx.controls.buttonBar.

But in other way you can try that.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application
 xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"
 layout="absolute"
 width="100%"
 height="100%">
 <mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
        import mx.messaging.management.ObjectName;
        import mx.utils.UIDUtil ;
        import mx.core.UIComponent;
        import mx.events.ItemClickEvent;
        import mx.controls.Button;

        [Bindable]
        private function setAble (event:ItemClickEvent):void
        {
            var noAble:Object = this.enabled = false;
            Button(event.index = noAble.item);
        }
    ]]>
</mx:Script>
<mx:ButtonBar id="controlBar" height="20" width="100%"
horizontalGap="0" itemClick="setAble(event);">
<mx:dataProvider>
<mx:Array>
<mx:String >New Topic</mx:String>
<mx:String>Reply</mx:String>