> this field should re-paint itself on sorting of any other fields.
Do you mean that the first row in the grid should always say "1",
regardless of how the list is sorted? If that is the case, you'll want
to create an itemRenderer that implements IDropInListItemRenderer, and
then displays the rowIndex property of BaseListData. This is probably
a good starting point:

http://jessewarden.com/archives/2006/10/checkbox_item_r.html

HTH,
Ben