hank williams wrote:

> This is a current failing in the flash/flex design.
>
> The way that I deal with it is to, before doing the actual upload, to
> send the data associated with the upload to the server first. The
> server then sends back an itemID or ticketID or something like that.
> When you do the upload you send with the URL, a parameter which is
> this new ID. The server knows that the thing that is being uploaded
> must be associated with the ID. When the upload is done, the client
> then knows what the ID of the uploaded item is and may ask the server
> about the item or instruct the server to do some additional task(s) to
> the item.

Ouch, not good to hear that.  I hope in future version Flex will be more
hm... flexible in this matter (pun intended :)

However I admire your solution for the problem - I've been struggling
with it for days, and haven't developed something like that. I'll
definitely use this approach  in our project. The only thing now is to
think how to "reserve" this itemID from the server. Guess I will have to
create empty object, put in inside DB, get the ID and return it. When
the real upload comes, the object will be just updated with proper data
in DB. So far, so good :)

Thank you for your answer, it was really helpful.

--
| Software Engineer
| Sebastian Zarzycki
| Microplan Polska (http://www.microplan.pl)