Is onItemEnd a custom event listener? or do you mean
onItemEditEnd?  I dont recall having an 'onItemEnd'
associated with Datagrid listener in any way.. please
correct me if im wrong.

When you use a datefield as item renderer or item
editor a list control (or any drop-in item
renderer/item editor), make sure that the data
provider of that list control has a field of type Date
(or the expected data type of the drop-in item
renderer you used). Since Data Grid is derived from
List base, this means it applies to it as well. Have
you considered that?