I know everyone doesn't have the same needs but we have used HTML text
in flash ever since it was supported. The framework in Flex as well as
the new VM really made this difficult and in the end we had to override
several of the Flex framework classes as well as extend some of the
components to handling this in a global way.

I guess what really made this easier for us in the past was the ability
to use the 'prototype' chain to override properties and functions at a
global level for all TextField instances. I know overriding the
prototype chain is a thing of the past and for good reasons but it sure
would be nice if ALL textFields in every component could get a
StyleSheet instance from the StyleManager.

My current solution is to over ride the StyleManager with a modified
version that creates a StyleSheet instance from the styles that it
contains. Then I have to go in and extend Text, Label, TextArea etc so
they automatically use the StyleSheet instance from my custom
StyleManager. In this way we don't have to 1. Maintain multiple style
sheets and 2. go around assigning the StyleSheet to every component I
want to use it on which is a huge pain! J

It would be nice to see some kind of support for this in the future even
if it was just Text, Label and TextArea that supported it.

Thanks!

Lance