How does one go about referencing objects on another canvas? For
example I have a tab navigator with 4 tabs:
Attendees
Membership
Payment Options

Inside the attendees tab I have a canvas: csAttendee with a datagrid:
dgselectedOptions

When the user submits the "pay" button on the payment options tab I
call a function to validate their input and try and reference the
columns array for the datagrid dgselectedOptions.

Using csAttendee.dgselectedOptions gives me an error when I try to
compile of "Access of possibly undefined property dgselectedOptions
through a reference with static type mx.containers:Canvas."

If I try Attendees.csAttendee.dgselectedOptions gives me "Access of
possibly undefined property csAttendee through a reference with
static type mx.containers:Canvas."

If I try just dgselectedOptions it compiles, but when I click my
payment button it gives: "Cannot access a property or method of a
null object reference." Even though I can click on the Attendees tab
and the datagrid is there and populated.