Hi.

Why don't your pop up dispatch some event (e.g. "submitData") and you listen
to it?

R.

On 12/5/06, qnotemedia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  OK - so I'm using the generic TileWindow example found on the
Component Explorer. It basically shows you how to build something
where:
1) User clicks a button, Window pops up.
2) User types into a text box in the window, clicks Submit.
3) Text typed in appears in the main app.

http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inproduct/sdk/explorer/explorer.html

But, I'm having a little difficulty understanding the assignment of
the returned data. i.e.:

login.loginName=returnedName;

...where login is the instance of the TitleWindow, loginName is a
public Text variable inside the component, and returnedName is a text
box in the main app.

My confusion comes up when I try to edit this so that:
1) App has a combobox. Dataprovider for the combobox is an
ArrayCollection of data: "data" and "label." User clicks a button,
TitleWindow pops up.
2) User types into a text box in the window, clicks Submit.
3) The text is a passed as a label, along with a generated ID
(generated in the component) and is added to the combobox's
dataprovider.

The problem appears to be that there is no handler of the Submit
button click on the main application. Obviously, I would add to a
datasource and return an ID from that, but I can't even get this to
work manually (i.e. for testing purposes, setting a static data and
label).

Just trying to keep this as simple as possible. Seems to me that if
I can pass a string of text, I should also be able to pass an Object
that is added to a dataProvider in the main app? Right?

Help!
- Chris