I've not dealt with authentication but here is how to call an operation.

// getOperation() returns generic AbstractOperation by default
// you want mx.rpc.Operation, not mx.rpc.mxml.Operation
var op:Operation = ws.getOperation("doCoolStuff") as Operation;
op.arguments.arrayArg = new Array("foo", "bar");
op.arguments.objectArg = {propA: "tweedle", propB: "dee"};
op.send();

You can optionally capture the token created by the call and assign a
responder as well:

var call:ASyncToken = op.send();
call.addResponder(IResponder);

The IResponder interface defines a result and fault method that are
called when the operation returns.

HTH,
Ben

ws.loadWSDL("http://sc-vmx-03/clarusipc/services/InventoryService?wsdl";);