Dorkie, this one's for you:
http://www.darronschall.com/weblog/archives/000251.cfm

I see from your sample color values that you found my old ActionScript 1
code to fade colors  ;-)  I went ahead and turned the logic into a new
effect so you can easily apply color transitions in Flex 2.

Usage is as follows:

<ds:AnimateColor xmlns:ds="com.darronschall.effects.*"
        id="fadeColor"
        target="{Application.application}"
        property="backgroundColor" isStyle="true"
        toValue="0x000000"
        duration="4000" />

Demo .swf here (view-source enabled):
http://www.darronschall.com/downloads/AnimateColorDemo/AnimateColorDemo.html