Thanks Greg,

Okay so the distinction is to do with types rather than with identity.

In that case, how does one compare two objects by value?

For example if, I have two separate instances of a class which happen to have the same value, as in

var foo:MyObject = new MyObject;
var bar:MyObject = new MyObject;

How do I test their equality by value (not by reference)?

Is there an operator for this, or do you have to write your own comparison methods?

If the former, does ActionScript distinguish between shallow and deep comparisons?

Cheers,
Lach