Hello,

I'm trying to create a strategy for creating a summary/detail
editing interface using either mx.List or mx.DataGrid (with one column).

I've created a composite component, which uses two States, a summary
(with a text label and a checkbox) and a detail (based on summary with
some other controls).

That dataProvider I plan on using is an ArrayCollection which is a
collection of Object instances of various classes, where each class
implements a toString() function which returns an XML formatted String
(of the String class).  I point that last bit out because the toString()
function is getting called and the results are being returned, rather
than the instance reference itself in some of the test cases I've done.

Incidentally, I can use this dataProvider model with a basic DataGrid
without issues.

I've chosen to attempt to do this with a DataGrid or List, as opposed to
a VBox with a repeater because of the efficiences of the pattern the
DataGrid/List are based on as well as gaining the drag/drop features.

I'm fine with doing the binding between the properties in the objects in
the ArrayCollection to the controls in the composite component, I'm
having difficulty gaining a reference to the ArrayCollection objects as
objects.

Briefly, I've explored:
1)
implements="mx.controls.listClasses.IDropInListItemRenderer" on the
composite component coupled with 'get listData()' and 'set listData()'
functions.

2) Using a custom formatter function which returns a reference to the
object (applied in the datagrid column) or list.

And various tweaks on the above concepts...

If anyone has done this sort of thing, could you point me in the right
direction? It would be much appreciated.

-Steve