Perhaps the easiest way to think about this is stuff before the hash, is
server side stuff, and after the hash is client side stuff. The client
portion can be changed on the client without reloading the client app,
but the stuff before the hash will cause the app to be reloaded if
altered by javascript (mod_rewrite only affects the server side - it
doesn't update the user's location info).

More within:

dorkie dork from dorktown wrote:
> i see what you are saying in your words. when we go to a new state,
> say foo.com/bar/ <http://foo.com/bar/> you want the url to change to
> foo.com/bar/monkey <http://foo.com/bar/monkey> not foo.com/bar/#monkey
> <http://foo.com/bar/#monkey>
It's not that I want the url to change to that, it's that the search
bots only (to my knowledge) use the stuff before the hash (#). So it's
more of a necessity to have those standard urls in some kind of link
structure for the bots to follow.

In other words, if you want SEO compatibility in your client side app,
you are required to maintain and integrate the two different URL types -
one for the user, and one for the search bots (and that one is a server
side app).

> correct? have a look at www.neave.tv <http://www.neave.tv>. as you
> move the app the browser's location bar is updated.
This site demonstrates what I've been saying - only the stuff after the
hash changes (and it's using unFocus.History, which was written by yours
truly :-D - *shameless*).

> are we changing topics again or are we moving to another piece of the
> puzzle?
>
> ie, jd summarized the current topic issue as this:
>
> "I'd like Adobe to provide examples on how to expose user-entered text,
> stored within my database and displayed and entered through a Flex SWF's
> UI, so that any search engine could search for that user text and return
> the address of the interface."
>
> and then we discussed some solutions to this.
I guess this is a different discussion - we are discussing why this is
so hard to do, and the specific road blocks, and then some possible
solutions. I'd be happy to start another thread, but I don't watch the
list as closely as I'd like, which is why I keep coming back to this old
huge one.

The more I think about this particular problem, the more I am starting
to see which tools may be right for which jobs. If you have a lot of
content in your site, then each piece of content should probably be
contained in some kind of document container (like html). It's these
documents that would be indexed by search engines.

So maybe then the problem is that we need a standard way to get from the
indexed document into the Rich app more fluidly, if not automatically?

This whole problem is also difficult, because it is not solely a
technical problem, nor is it entirely an architectural problem - there
are also possible user experience considerations, as well as work flow
issues.

Kevin N.